Once a month eight students at Phillips are recognized for being “On The Right Track” at school. One teacher from each grade level nominates a student and 2 are chosen from the whole student body by Mrs. Prior-Sweet and Ms. Doyle. We are proud of our students making good choices!
Families interested in enrolling at Phillips for 2014-2015 will need to follow and complete the Des Moines Public Schools’ Within District Transfer paperwork. This information is located on the District website using the following link:
For any questions regarding this process, please contact the district enrollment office at 242-7353.
Reading Adventures with Dad Night on November 21st, celebrated Phillips’ centennial year with 100 years of children’s classic books. Mr. Adrian is reading “Caps for Sale” by Esphyr Slobodkina from the 1940’s. It was a great evening of book reading for Phillips families.
Student Council hosted its annual Thanksgiving Food Drive and are now busy organizing boxes for delivery. Students are working on their math skills by counting, graphing, and dividing food items for families in need.
Our students have been patiently waiting to play on the new playground equipment. We are hoping to have them on it by the end of this week.
Please join us for an informational meeting regarding enrollment policy at Phillips on Monday, Oct. 7, 2013 at 6:30 pm in the cafeteria.
Enrollment Procedure Changes for Phillips:
* Instead of returning enrollment applications to our office, all applications will now be sent to our District’s Enrollment Office at 1301 2nd Avenue
* The change in the enrollment process for schools of choice will not affect currently enrolled children.
* If parents have already submitted an application to us and have currently enrolled a child at Phillips, that child’s younger sibling will have a placement in the new kindergarten class for 2014-15 and 2015-16.
* All students on the wait list will need to complete a within district application and submit it to the Enrollment Office by December 1, 2013.
* The enrollment process and application of the Diversity Plan will be consistent for all buildings.
* Whatever place a child currently holds on the 2014-15 and 2015-16 wait list will be the same place they will hold on the new list managed by the Enrollment Office.
* Beyond the 2015-16 school year, waiting lists will be complied only one year in advance.
* Families will need to submit an application to the Enrollment Office during the appropriate application period for the school year in which enrollment is being sought.
Each grade level gathered for ice cream and extra recess for demonstrating exemplary behavior during the third trimester of school. Over 250 students participated